Second to diamonds in terms of hardness and durability, sapphire requires very less maintenance and is apt for regular wear. But as we all know, accumulation of dirt and grime can make even the rarest of gemstones look dull. A little care will help ensure that your beautiful sapphire jewelry remains dazzling at all times. Here’s a basic guide for cleaning and storing your sapphires.
- Wear your sapphire jewelry only after you are done with your makeup. Similarly, take them off as soon as you get back home. This will keep your jewelry safe from the chemicals present in perfumes and makeup products.
- Remove the jewelry while doing manual tasks such as cleaning, washing and gardening. In spite of being a hard stone, there are chances that your sapphire might be chipped or scratched.
- Do not expose your sapphire jewelry to harsh substances such as chlorine bleach or anything that contains moisturizers, anti-static agents or abrasives.
- Sapphires can be easily cleaned at home with warm water and a splash of mild detergent. You can also scrub gently using a soft toothbrush. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a soft cloth. For deeper cleaning, you can soak your jewelry in lukewarm water for around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once your jewelry is clean, wrap it in a piece of muslin or jewelry cloth. Store it in a separate compartment in your jewelry box to prevent your sapphire from scratching other stones and also from being scratched. Keep your sapphire jewelry in a cool place – away from direct sunlight and heat.
- If your sapphire is of high quality, you can also consider having it professionally cleaned or examined at least once every year.