The stunning sapphire is the birthstone for September. Since ancient times, this gemstone has been considered as a symbol of wisdom, royalty and divine favour. What could be a better time than now to learn more about this dazzling gemstone? Here are a few fun facts on the sapphire that you might find interesting.
- Sapphire derives its name from the Latin word “sapphirus,” meaning blue.
- Though the most popular variety is the blue sapphire, this alluring gemstone is also available in several other colors such as pink, yellow, orange, purple and green.
- This splendid gemstone is believed to possess calming and healing properties. It is also considered that the sapphire helps restore balance within the body and prevent unwanted thoughts.
- According to historians, the tablets on which the Ten Commandments were written were made of sapphire.
- Ancient Persians believed that the earth rested upon a giant sapphire, and that the color of the sky was a reflection of the gem.
- Sapphire is a gemstone variety of the mineral corundum. This beautiful gemstone is a combination of aluminum and oxygen.
- It has a Mohs rating of 9 and is regarded to be the second hardest substance on the earth. The only stone that can scratch a sapphire is diamond.
- Padparadscha sapphire, with an orange-pink hue, is an extremely rare colored variety of sapphire that was originally found in Sri Lanka.
- Sapphires are sourced from different parts of the world, including Australia, Malawi, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, and the United States.
- In addition to being the birthstone for those born in the month of September, it is also the gem for the 5th and 45th anniversaries.
Read all about August month’s birthstone here.
Related topics on September birthstone –