Methods to Identify a Real Diamond
UV Light Test
- Get a combined Diamond/Moissanite tester that quickly indicates if the stone is a real diamond or a fake crystal. Diamonds and Moissanite have almost similar thermal conductivities so a combine tester is better than individual ones.
- If it is a diamond jewelry piece then carefully check the mounting and setting. Diamonds being so precious and valuable are always fixed in precious metal.
- If it is a real diamond it will reflect various shades of grey.
- If the diamond is real then you won’t see the bottom of it from viewing the top when it is mounted.
- If the stone is showing double reflection, it is probably a Moissanite which is so identical to diamond that only experts could differentiate it.
- These are the few most common tests you can conduct to judge if what you are buying is a diamond or anything else. Once you are a bit satisfied about the stone get it checked by a certified appraiser or gemologists who will not only provide you with the authenticity of your piece but would also evaluate its worth. Also get your diamond registered and fingerprinted so no one would exchange it at your back.